Friday, July 22, 2011

Here comes the sun!

I fall for this season every time
When it's hot, and everybody smiles
I can't help myself! I'm in love with the summertime!


It's the start of the summer holidays today and all my friends who are teachers are dead excited about that. Hey, that involves half my family too, and while I'd usually be dismayed at the prospect of my mother being around due to this, both parents are jetting off to a Cotswolds holiday at early o'clock tomorrow morning! Better still, my sister will be going to Paris herself at some point next week, so I will have THE HOUSE ALL TO MYSELF (if you don't count the cat, and she prefers the garden in this weather). This is an incredibly liberating feeling, and I intend to use it for large amounts of nudity and the ability to stay in bed until about noon.


The summer holidays aren't meant to affect me. Not really. As some of you will know, I did used to work in schools as a teaching assistant. I got the holidays then. And, of course, I've been a student twice. I've never actually had a job where I haven't had the summer holidays as a break period. And thus, working in academic years as I continue to do, I still feel the holiday spirit.

I'm going away as well. Sadly, I probably won't be able to go to camp - so no more tempting stories of streaking ravers and trees up against which to fuck, but my reasoning behind this is that if I don't go to camp, I will have TIME AND MONEY, and with time and money, I can do wild and crazy things like going on wild and crazy dates at which I get told off in museums, and taking wild and crazy walks through bits of London! I can even meet wild and crazy people with which to be wild and crazy! But yes, I am going away, whether I camp or not. Two holidays and they're both free! A road trip with 47 and friends, which I don't need to pay for because I bought him some James tickets, and a family holiday, which I don't need to pay for because it's the family!

(Of course, the family holiday is likely to be a bit stressful, so I plan to wait until we get there and then strike out on my own. I'll, uhm, think about this in more detail when we actually get closer to the event.)

Now, I know I'm not meant to be on holiday. I'm meant to be jobseeking and since jobseeking actually involves being at home ALL THE TIME, that's not particularly different from what I'd do during the summer holidays - or even what I used to do when they actually were holidays. But to be honest, I don't care. I'm still going to consider myself as being on holiday... and if I don't let anything stop me from doing so, I am going to be amazing, when my world is a big ball of burning sunshine, complete with picnics, holidays and love!

No comments:

Post a Comment