Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Freedom of Sexpression

Sex is everywhere these days.

I'm not talking about the action. I'm talking about the word. Or verbalising (Lexicising? I love making up words.) allusions to sex. I'm a great advocate of free speech and, in particular, talking openly about sex really is something I think should be done more often. I even wrote a (rejected) piece about the word for a bloggers' book.

I mean, think about it. A contestant in Only Connect last night mentioned how mind-controlling drugs may make one more sexual (to which the brilliant Victoria Coren retorted, "Well, that hasn't happened to me..."). There was a whole column in today's thelondonpaper from a young lady who is proud to remain a virgin, preaching abstinence from sex. A few pages later, Andy Jones wrote a piece about having sex in the summer and the trials of heat and sex (has he been reading me, I wonder?). My girlfriend's mother even gave a perfunctory mention to making love on a kitchen table in conversation with me a day or so ago.

Yes, I like hearing sex mentioned. In the oddest of circumstances.

I think I'll do NaBloPoMo this month. And, for the hell of it, I'll add a new theme to the mix. I'll blog every day (I may have to backdate a few entries, but keep it quiet if that happens...) about the first, or the best, passing reference to sex I've overheard in everyday life that day. Considering that I'm going on holiday for a weekend and back to college this year, there should be plenty of opportunties.

Hang on while I go and get the NaBloPoMo site up, and then offer up a prayer to God that he provides some sex mentionngs for me. What fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment