Monday, February 1, 2010

In praise of Belle de Jour

Belle de Jour was one of the reasons I started blogging. In a fairly hidden world dominated mostly by the one track mind girl, it was nice to have someone else to read - evidently coming from fairly different circumstances, but nevertheless - her writing was cheeky and fluid, her accounts frank and interesting, and what's more, she wrote more than one book.

"Beware the man of one book." - St Thomas Aquinas

Anyway, so. I recorded Secret Diary the other day. I wasn't available to see it at the time although I enjoyed series 2 (I only ever saw one episode of series 1 - I know!). Two episodes back-to-back. Why does everyone do that now? I can understand a series like Glee, which has 22 episodes to get through, but for Secret Diary? Six episodes, four of which left after the first day? Give us a time for reflection, please!

This was followed by the much-publicised documentary with "the real Belle" in it, so I recorded that too.

Let me say this: Secret Diary is good fun. It's smart, it's sharp, and being British, it's tittilating rather than outright erotic, which I like. But the documentary - okay, wow, where did all this come from? It's two women sitting on a sofa, one of whom's romantic and sexual endeavours have been in the public eye for so long, the other one being Belle de Jour. Sounds a little like Loose Women, no? But it was actually fascinating. Not particularly the questions themselves, but just the way Belle delivered her answers. Direct and to the point. And oh, so confident.

If any of you can, watch the documentary. It's still available here - yes, it's ITV but it's still worth a watch, if only so you can catch this little bit of sex blogger history.

I'm not really going anywhere with this, but I have one final thing to say: after an evening of watching Belle de Jour in various forms, I had amazing, mindblowing sex. Coincidence? Well, yes, probably. But it's fun to imagine that there's something else at work, right?

...right?

No comments:

Post a Comment